Let me start off by saying that I’m not old. I’m only 28 which should be the prime of my life but my body feels much older. Or at the very least I’m starting to notice I’m no longer 18.
1. I can’t stay up late. My freshman year in college I could function off 3-4 hours of sleep. Now, I’m lucky if I make it until 10:30. And if I do stay up late I have to make sure I’ll have time to take a nap the next day.
2. I can’t sleep in anymore. I used to be able to “will” myself to sleep until the afternoon. Now I consider sleeping until 8 as a luxury.
3. While I was home I went to the gym with my sister twice. I did practically nothing and was sore for 2 days afterward. Likewise, I went to the batting cages with my dad and raked the leaves in mom’s yard. Both had the same effect as the gym. This didn’t used to happen…at all.
4. I get sleepy after eating meals and need to go sit down for a while. Again, this never used to happen. I used to be able to eat Thanksgiving dinner and go play basketball right after without any consequences.
5. Seeing a lot of junk food in one place makes me sick. This is not right. My roommate has tons of M&M’s, candy bars, cupcakes, cookies, chips, and Reese’s Butter Cups in the cupboard and every time I open it I want to hurl. Also, I can’t watch candy being made because all the sugar and lard makes me queasy. This absolutely never happened before.
6. When I would visit with my nephew and nieces I could play for hours doing anything and everything they did. Now the only games I want to play with them consist of me laying on the floor while they do one (or all) of the following: play with my hair, stack their toys on me and see if they can balance without falling, or put stickers on my face. I don’t care as long as I get to lay on the floor.
I realize that most of these problems would be cleared up if I got out to the gym…or just got out. But it didn’t used to be this way. I never thought about what I was eating, whether I had to schedule a nap time, or worry what the effect on my body will be if I do something more strenuous than sitting. It blows.